Police Log: Man Stopped for Walking Around With Knife, German Chocolate Scam


The following information was provided by the Watertown Police Department.


July 24, 2:47 p.m.: Police received multiple calls from concerned people about a man who was acting strange and carrying a knife on Patten Street, off Mt. Auburn Street. Officers located the man, who was still carrying a knife in one hand and a kitchen stool in the other. The officers were able to calm the man and he put the knife down. The 24-year-old Watertown man was arrested on a charge of disorderly conduct.

July 25, 9:21 a.m.: Target security spotted a man going through the electronics section where he picked up an Xbox game, he then headed to the toy section and grabbed a Lego Star Wars building set, and finally he went to the school supplies section where he took some flashcards. Then the man pulled a Target shopping bag out of his pocket, unfolded it and put the items into the bag. He tried to leave without paying, but was stopped with the $126.30 in merchandise. The 40-year-old Medford man was arrested on a charge of shoplifting.

July 26, 10:10 a.m.: An officer spotted a driver on Charles River Road going 50 mph in a 30 mph. The vehicle was stopped and when Police checked the driver’s record they found that he was wanted on a warrant. The 28-year-old Leicester man was arrested on the warrant from East Brookfield District Court for shoplifting and was cited for speeding.

July 27, 4:42 p.m.: A car went across the center line and struck a parked car on the 200 block of Lexington Street. Both vehicles sustained major damage. The driver’s vehicle was still in drive, so officers got into the vehicle, put it in park and turned the engine off. The man behind the wheel did not suffer injury, but he showed signs of impairment. Police located what they believe is narcotics and drug paraphernalia. The man’s license had been suspended for a prior OUI. The 45-year-old Newton man was arrested on charges of driving under the influence of drugs — a third offense, driving with a license suspended for an OUI and was cited for operating left of center.

July 27, 5:57 p.m.: Police were called to Patten Street for a man wanted on a default warrant. The man was the one who had been arrested for walking around with a knife on July 24. He did not show up the court for the prior charges. The 24-year-old Watertown man was arrested on the default warrant from Waltham District Court.

July 29, 8:20 p.m.: A witness called police to report a driver at King and Warren streets who had struck the curb multiple times. The driver also ran a red light. Police stopped the car and officers detected an odor of alcohol on the driver’s breath. Officers found a half-full 24 oz. Corona bottle. The driver failed five field sobriety tests, and Police found he had a prior OUI offense. He had a tail light that was not working, too. The 59-year-old Cambridge man was arrested on charges of driving under the influence of alcohol — a second offense, driving with a suspended license, possession of an open container of alcohol in a motor vehicle, failing to stop and an equipment violation.


July 23, 9:15 a.m.: The owner of a business in town discovered that a former employee had made $14,000 in unauthorized charges on a company credit card. The charges were found in an internal audit. Police are investigating.

July 24, 10:47 a.m.: Police responded to Cross Street for a break in. Someone entered an apartment through an unsecured window and took three packs of cigarettes and prescription medication. Police are investigating.

July 24, 3:32 p.m.: A Palfrey Street resident ordered a Dell computer online and the resident got confirmation that the computer had been delivered on July 5, but it was not there when the resident got home. It is believed to hav been taken from the front steps sometime between July 5 and 24. The computer was worth $312.37.

July 27, 8 a.m.: A vehicle had its front passenger side window smashed, and a large rock was found in the vehicle. There was also a dent in the front passenger door. Noting was taken from the vehicle.

July 28, 2:53 p.m.: A resident came into the police station to report that she had been scammed. The woman ordered a pallet of chocolate from Munich, Germany, from a website. She initially paid $1,094 by PayPal. Then she was told she would need to pay an additional $876 for shipping fees. She was contacted a second time to pay and additional $730.75. She was contacted one more time for another $575.01. She paid the money each time to a person in Turkey. She then became suspicious, and contacted police.

July 29, 3 p.m.: Police responded to a store on Paker Street for shoplifting. An employee spotted a woman put a pair of shoes into a bag, and then put more items into the bag. The woman left the store and got into a vehicle. She was caught on video surveillance and employees got the license plate. The 44-year-old Quincy woman was summonsed to Waltham District Court for shoplifting by concealing merchandise.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *