Christmas Eve Fire Damages Watertown Home, Started in Chimney

Print

Watertown Firefighters battled a blaze at a home on Flint Road on Christmas Eve.

A fire alarm struck at 4:24 p.m. on Dec. 24 for a fire at 25 Flint Road. The fire started in a chimney on the first floor of the 2.5 story multi-family home, according to Watertown Fire Capt. Ryan Nicholson.

“Upon arrival crews found that a fire had spread from the fireplace on the first floor,” Nicholson said.

Deputy Chief Dan Tardif ordered a working fire, resulting in additional crews responding to the scene, according to Nicholson.

“A hoseline was stretched to the first floor to quickly extinguish the fire,” Nicholson said.

Fire crews also checked the second floor to see if the fire had extended there, but they determined it had not.

Investigators determined there was nothing suspicious about the cause of the fire.

“The fire was determined to be accidental and caused by a malfunction of the fireplace and chimney,” Nicholson said. “Residents should be reminded to have a qualified mason inspect their fireplace, flue and chimney prior to use and annually.”

He added that cracks in the flue or mortar can allow fire and heated gases to escape into the structure. The buildup of creosote, a tarry by-product of burning wood, is the cause of most chimney fires.

“Residents should also have their flue cleaned prior to the heating season,” Nicholson said.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *