Police Log: Motorcyclist Flees Police, Scam Using Fake Fraud Department


The following information was provided by the Watertown Police Department.


July 29, 10:26 a.m.: An officer on Waltham Street saw a motorcycle being driving by a man who was not wearing a helmet. There was also a woman on the back, who had a helmet. When the officer attempted to stop them, the motorcycle sped away. The officer did not try to follow them, but he put out a radio broadcast for police to be on the look out for the motorcycle. Another officer went to look for them and found the female passenger who had fallen off the back of the motorcycle when the rider made a sharp turn at Barbara Road and Main Street in Waltham. The driver kept going. When speaking to the woman, they found she had a warrant for her arrest. The woman told police the name of the driver, and she called him and had him come back to the scene. When he returned police found he had a suspended license. The 30-year-old Waltham woman was arrested on the warrant from Waltham District Court for a probation violation. The driver, a 30-year old man from Waltham, was summonsed to Waltham District Court for driving with a suspended license, operating a motor vehicle to endanger, operating a motorcycle without a helmet, two stop sign violations and a red light violation.

July 29, 10:53 a.m.: Police received a report of an unwanted person at a home on Church Street and when they spoke to the people at the home they found a man who was wanted on warrants. The 53-year-old Watertown man was arrested on two warrants from Lynn District Court.

July 29, 12:57 p.m.: Watertown Police were alerted about a woman wanted for violating a harassment order. The 61-year-old Watertown woman was arrested on the warrant from Waltham District Court.

July 30, 7:47 a.m.: A man who was known to have a warrant for his arrest was spotted by police sitting on a bench in front of Home Depot. The 33-year-old homeless man was arrested on the default warrant from Waltham District Court for inhaling a toxic substance.

July 31, 5:27 p.m.: A minor motor vehicle accident occurred on School Street, and while police were speaking with those involved they found that one had a default warrant and a suspended license. The 38-year-old Belmont woman was arrested on a charge driving with a suspended license, and the warrant from Lowell District Court for shoplifting. She was also cited for following too close.

Aug. 4, 8:39 p.m.: A driver hit a parked vehicle on Laurel Street. Someone heard the crash and called police. The woman was still in the vehicle when police arrived. When she spoke to officers, they detected an odor of alcohol on her breath and noticed other signs of intoxication. She admitted to consuming alcohol before driving, and failed four field sobriety tests. Police discovered she had a prior OUI conviction and found an open Miller Lite in the car. The 56-year-old Watertown woman was arrested on a charge of driving under the influence of alcohol — a second offense, and possession of an open container of alcohol in a motor vehicle.


July 29, 1:29 p.m.: A man reported his wallet was stolen while he was playing basketball at Victory Field. The 18-year-old Watertown man put his belongings down on the ground while he played for a few hours. He didn’t notice anyone in the area, but when he went back it was gone. His wallet contained $120 in cash, a credit card and a driver’s license.

July 29, 5:31 p.m.: A Melendy Avenue resident went to take a shower and left a candle burning in a bedroom. When the resident got out of the shower the top of the dresser was on fire. One of the residents extinguished the fire before the Fire Department arrived, but firefighters made sure it had not spread. The dresser was charred and there was smoke damage in the bedroom.

July 30, 10:52 a.m.: The manager of Enterprise Rent a Car contacted police after a woman who had rented a vehicle did not return it. It was rented on March 7 to a Woburn woman, and on June 4 she stopped paying for the rental and did not return it. After several unsuccessful attempts to contact her, the manager contacted police. The 37-year-old Woburn woman was summonsed to Waltham District Court for failure to return a leased motor vehicle.

July 30, 5:47 p.m.: A woman came to the Police Station to report she had been scammed. She received a call from someone claiming to be from TD Bank’s fraud department, saying her card had been used fraudulently in Florida for $200. She gave the person her Social Security Number and date of birth, and was told her card was cancelled and she would be sent a new one. Later she learned that someone had accessed her account, transferred $13,000 from her savings to her checking account and withdrew the money. She contacted TD Bank’s fraud department and found out that the money was taken during a series of of ATM withdrawals in Florida. The bank and authorities in Florida are investigating.

July 31, 11:36 a.m.: A Green Street resident put a check in the mailbox outside the Post Office on Main Street on July 26. On July 29, she received a notice that the payment had not been received. When she looked at her bank statement she found the $426.85 check had been cashed. The bank is investigating and the case has been referred to the Postal Inspection Service.

Aug. 1, 12:06 p.m.: An employee at Carter’s at the Watertown Mall reported that a woman shoplifted multiple items. The woman came into the store, grabbed a shopping basket and filled it with baby clothes. Then she ran out of the store without paying. She had approximately $50 in merchandise. The suspect is described as an African-American woman wearing gold hoop earrings, sunglasses, and a bathing suit style outfit. She was seen driving away in a black Saturn.

Aug. 2, 12;22 p.m.: A laptop computer was taken from a maintenance room of a building on Pleasant Street. The door to the maintenance room, located in the building’s garage, had been pried open. The computer was a Dell Latitude 7380 valued at $1,000.

Aug. 3, 5:49 p.m.: An employee at Logan Furniture left a cell pone in the store bathroom at about 2:30 p.m. and shortly afterward he realized the cellphone was missing. He went back to the bathroom and found it was gone. The phone was an iPhone 10 XR worth $850.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *