Police Log: Men Use Counterfeit $20s, Pickup Catches Fire


The following information was provided by the Watertown Police Department.


Jan. 27, 3 a.m.: Police received a call from a motorist who followed another driver from Soldiers Field Road in Brighton into Watertown after observing him driving erratically. When he stopped at a red light, the driver appeared to fall asleep, and the vehicle appeared to have a flat tire. Police located the vehicle in Watertown Square and pulled the driver over on Pleasant Street. The driver had a strong odor of alcohol on his breath and admitted to consuming alcohol before driving. The man failed five field sobriety tests. The 38-year-old man from Rockville, Md., was arrested on a charge of driving under the influence of alcohol.

Watertown Police made one arrest on domestic charges. The WPD does not release the name or details of domestic incidents.


Jan. 29, 6:46 p.m.: A Main Street resident parked in the lot of his apartment complex on Jan. 25 at 9:30 a.m. and when he got in the vehicle two days several warning lights came on. When he looked at his vehicle, it appeared someone had stuffed some branches under the hood. He opened the engine compartment and saw branches had been stuffed inside and the hood closed on top. He had the car inspected and it appeared that the wires to the vehicle’s lights had been cut. The estimated damage was $300. Police are investigating.

Jan. 30, 1:13 p.m.: A man and woman were spotted by security in Home Depot and appeared to be working together to shoplift. The man put several items in a shopping carriage and then went to the restroom near the checkout area. While he was in there, the woman pushed the carriage out the door without paying for the items. Security followed the woman out to the parking lot and asked her to return the items and come inside. At that point, the man came out and security asked him to come inside. The man ran away, and then the woman got into a vehicle and left. The store recovered all the merchandise which was worth $1,449.38, and included a Milwaukee battery, a multi-tool set, a radio charger, a wrench set, a battery pack, a sawzall blade, an impact wrench, and a three-piece Milwaukee power pack. The suspects were described as an African-American man in his 20s or 30s, with short hair and a blue jacket; and a heavy-set African-American woman in her 20s or 30s with a blue jacket who carried a grey pocketbook and had reddish-brown shoulder length hair.

Jan. 30, 3:15 p.m.: A vehicle was broken into on Union Street. Someone entered an unlocked vehicle and rummaged through it. Nothing was reported missing.

Jan. 31, 5:03 p.m.: A Whitney Street resident said that he two missing packages. He ordered two items online — a crockpot and a USB printer cable — and they were confirmed delivered on Jan. 27 but he never received them. On the 28th, a neighbor found security video that showed a person in all dark clothing take the packages. The suspect appeared to be a Hispanic man.

Jan. 31, 5:31 p.m.: A man who was seen shoplifting at Target fled the store with three pairs of headphones. The man went into the electronics section, took three boxes of Beats headphones and placed them in a backpack. He was confronted by security, and he ran from the store with $879.96 in merchandise. The suspect is described as a Hispanic male wearing a black and purple jacket, dark pants and red sneakers.

Jan. 31, 9:50 p.m.: Police went to Target after security detained a shoplifter. The woman was seen walking around the store and concealing merchandise in a baby carriage. She had clothes, jewelry and makeup worth $856.66. The 21-year-old Londonderry, N.H., woman was summonsed to Waltham District Court on a charge of shoplifting over $250.

Feb. 1, 10:11 a.m.: Two men came into CVS on Main Street and used counterfeit $20 bills. The pair came into the store on Jan. 31, and the first man bought a candy bar for $1.39, gave the cashier $240 in counterfeit $20s and asked for the change to be put on a reloadable debit card. After the transaction, the man left the store. The second man went to a different cashier and asked for $280 in $20 bills to be added to a reloadable debit card. The cashier used the counterfeit detection pen on the bills and they tested positive. The cashier gave the man back the bills and asked the man to leave the store. Then, the manager asked the cashier to test the bills used by the first man and they too tested positive for being counterfeit. Police were contacted the following day, and are investigating the incident. The suspects were both described as African-American men in their 20s who wore hoodies.

Feb. 1, 5:53 p.m.: A couple on Gilbert Street contacted a man selling Celtics tickets on Craigslist and purchased the pair for $280. The tickets were supposed to be emailed to them, but they never received them. The money was transferred to the seller using the Zelle app. When they tried to call the number back no one answered.

Feb. 1, 10:22 p.m.: A Russell Avenue resident came home to find her living room in disarray. It does not appear that anything was missing. There were no signs of forced entry, and the owner believes the doors were locked.

Feb. 2, 6:12 p.m.: An Auburndale man dinning at Pleasant Street Pizza realized that his Ford F-350 pickup was on fire. A police officer arrived and found smoke and flames coming from the passenger cab and from under the hood. He used a fire extinguisher to put out the fire. The Fire Department also responded and said it appeared that that an electrical problem started the fire in the engine compartment.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *