A problem with the fire suppression system over the weekend at the Lowell School damaged parts of the building, said Superintendent Jean Fitzgerald.
At Monday night’s School Committee meeting Fitzgerald said that the school is not accessible because of the damage.
“It caused significant damage and right now we can’t go in at all,” Fitzgerald said.
The power has been shut off and the boiler room was flooded, she said. The school had a new boiler delivered, but it has not been installed yet, Fitzgerald said. It appears to be undamaged.
The flooding appeared to be caused just by a failure in the system, Fitzgerald said.
“There were rumors that someone with a firecracker lit a fire, but that is not true,” Fitzgerald said.
The school is not used for summer school, but it was supposed to host the Club Invention program. That program will move to the Hosmer School, Fitzgerald said.