Police Log: Woman Caught Breaking into Childcare Center, Multiple Vehicles Vandalized

Print More

The following information was provided by the Watertown Police Department.


Sept. 25, 5:30 p.m.: A woman attempted to return a bag of clothing to Marshall’s but store security recognized her from incidents at other stores so she was not allowed to return the clothing. The woman then walked around the store for 2-3 hours and placed items in a bag. She walked past the registers and left the store without paying. When police spoke to the woman who said that she forgot to pay. She had $441.79 in merchandise. The 48-year-old Watertown woman was arrested on a charge of larceny over $250. Marshall’s is checking the clothes she brought to return to see if any of it was taken from that or another Marshall’s store.

Oct. 1, 2 p.m.: Police responded to a business alarm at the former school at 124 Watertown Street, and found that an exterior window had been forced open. Then officers found an emergency door that was ajar. When they went inside the Strawberry Childcare Center they found a woman inside looking inside cabinets. When police spoke to the woman she said she went into the building to look for a bathroom. Police located an instrument she used to try to force open the window. Meanwhile, a police search dog was brought in from Belmont to check the building to see if anyone else was inside. No one was found. The 40-year-old Watertown woman was arrested on a charge of breaking and entering a building during the daytime for a felony.


Sept. 25, 12 p.m.: A woman stopped to clean her car in the parking lot of Stop & Shop on Watertown Street when she looked at the vehicle next to her and saw a man inside masturbating. The woman was shocked and alarmed, and she went over to tell some Newton Firefighters who were at Stop & Shop at the time. They contacted Newton Police, who called Watertown Police because it was in their jurisdiction. The 25-year-old man from Dorchester located and summonsed to Waltham District Court for open and gross lewdness.

Sept. 25, 3:55 p.m.: A customer at Stop & Shop loaded her groceries in her car and left before realizing she did not have her wallet. She believed someone had take it. Security footage shows her coming out of the store with the wallet in her hand, but there was no footage of show what happened when she returned the cart. She may have left it in the cart. The wallet contained cash, her driver’s license, credit cards and a checkbook. The credit cards had not been reported illegally used.

Sept. 25, 11:30 p.m.: An officer spotted a vehicle on Main Street at Westminster Avenue that had no headlights on and the driver’s side door open. The officer got closer and saw the left leg of the driver hanging out of the vehicle as it went in reverse. The driver said that the battery was dead and he was trying to move the vehicle to the side of the road. When police ran the vehicle’s plates they discovered they did not belong to that vehicle. The driver said he had gotten the plates from a friend and he puts them on the car when he wants to drive it. The 19-year-old East Boston man was summonsed to Waltham District Court for attaching plates, driving an uninsured motor vehicle and driving an unregistered motor vehicle.

Sept. 26, 5:30 p.m.: Security at Target observed a man come in and take a hard drive off the shelf and cut it from the hook. The man took the hard drive out of the box and put the box on a shelf in the toys aisle. He was stopped, and while he was being interviewed the hard drive and a knife used to cut it off the hook were found on the man. The hard drive is valued at $119.99. Security checked video from prior days and discovered that the man had done the same thing two days earlier. The 37-year-old man from Allston was summonsed to Waltham District Court on two counts of shoplifting by concealing merchandise.

Sept. 27, 12:15 p.m.: Police received a report of a vehicle being vandalized numerous times while parked on Forest Street. First, part of the rear passenger side door handle and white paint was also found on the vehicle. The door handle was repaired but later it was completely removed. The owner does not know who might have vandalized the car. Police are investigating.

Sept. 28, 1:05 p.m.: Sometime overnight from Sept. 27 to Sept. 28, someone let the air out of both rear tires of a vehicle. The owner reported the incident to police, and said there was no other damage.

Sept. 28, 9:45 p.m.: An employee at Dunkin’ Donuts on Arsenal Street reported that a man came up to the counter and asked for a cup of water. When the employee went to get the water, she saw the man reach into the tip jar, take the money out and then ran out of the store. The incident was also witnessed by a customer. The jar had about $5 in cash inside. The suspect is described as a 30-year-old, light-skinned African-American man wearing a black hooded sweatshirt.

Sept. 29, 4:45p.m.: A Morse Street resident reported that someone stole all four tire valve caps off his vehicle. They caps were special, red metal caps worth $10 each.

Sept. 30, 9:15 a.m.: A Prescott Street resident came out to find that three rims and tires had been removed from from a vehicle parked in the driveway. The incident occurred between 8:30 p.m. on Sept. 29 and around 9 a.m. on Sept. 30. The wheels were taken off a Honda Accord and are worth $1,500.

Oct. 1, 1:25 p.m.: A man came into Stop & Shop on Pleasant Street and returned $126.37 worth of lightbulbs for a cash refund. Half an hour later, the man returned and was seen concealing cosmetics and walk out of the store without paying. They were worth $150. The man left the store and ran into the wooded area behind the store. Police were able to identify the man because he had to show a photo ID to return the light bulbs. Police got a court summons for a 26-year-old Newton man for shoplifting over $100.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *