Police Log: Irate Motorist Arrested, Checks Go Missing from Mail & Cashed Elsewhere

Print More

The following information was provided by the Watertown Police Department.


April 9, 12:46 a.m.: A motorist reported seeing a black SUV strike a pole on a traffic island on North Beacon Street at Arsenal Street, and drive away. Police were able to track the vehicle down on Lexington Street and Main Street, and it had smoke coming from underneath the hood, heavy damage to the front, and a shattered windshield. The officer observed the vehicle traveling slowly and swerving. Police stopped the vehicle, and noticed the driver had signs of intoxication. The driver said she had consumed alcohol before driving and she failed four field sobriety tests. The 33-year-old Waltham woman was arrested on charges of driving under the influence of alcohol, leaving the scene of property damage, and marked lanes violation.

April 9, 2:54 a.m.: Two men got into a shoving match on North Beacon Street. The friends were traveling in a vehicle when they got into an argument. One man told the other to pull over and let him out. When they stopped the disagreement got physical. Police arrived and spoke to the driver, who showed signs of intoxication. The man said he consumed alcohol before driving, and he failed field sobriety tests. The 32-year-old Revere man was arrested on a charge of driving under the influence of alcohol — a second offense.

April 9, 3 a.m.: Police responded to Irma Avenue for a man causing a disturbance. While speaking to the man Police found that he had a default warrant for his arrest. The 27-year-old Waltham man was arrested on the warrant from Quincy District Court for open and gross lewdness.

April 9, 3 a.m.: An officer patrolling on North Beacon Street spotted a vehicle with its hazard lights on. The driver said she hit a curb, drove over the traffic island on North Beacon at Arsenal Street, and the vehicle stopped running. The driver exhibited signs of intoxication, including an odor of alcohol. The woman failed sobriety tests. The 52-year-old Watertown woman was arrested on charges of driving under the influence of alcohol and marked lanes violation.

April 10, 12 p.m.: Watertown Police received a call from Brookline authorities, who had a warrant for a man they believed worked in Watertown. The man was tracked down to the Watertown Mall and he was arrested on the warrant from Brookline District Court for assault and battery.

April 11, 4:05 p.m.: An officer ran a query on the plate of a vehicle on Main Street near Lexington Street and found the registration was revoked for insurance reasons. Police pulled the vehicle over and when the driver was asked for his license and registration he initially refused to hand them over. After a couple requests, he did give the license and registration. The vehicle did not belong to the driver. When the officer told him about the suspended registration the man said he would drive it home, which was just around the corner. The officer went to his vehicle and when he returned the driver was on the phone yelling at someone. Despite the windows being up, the man’s voice could be heard and other drivers began to slow down to look on. One man stopped and got out to see what happened. The officer told the man to turn off his engine, but the man refused. Police told him he was being arrested for disorderly conduct, but when they tried to remove him from the car the driver gripped the steering wheel and moved away from the officer. Eventually he was removed from the vehicle. The 57-year-old Watertown man was arrested on charges of disorderly conduct, resisting arrest, and driving a vehicle with a revoked registration. The owner of the vehicle was summonsed to Waltham District Court on charges of having allowing a vehicle with revoked registration to be driven, and allowing use of an uninsured and unregistered vehicle.

April 11, 7:03 p.m.: Police observed a vehicle run a red light and pulled it over on Main Street. When the officer asked the driver for his information the man said he had lost his license and could not find his registration. When police checked the driver’s record they found he had a suspended license. The 34-year-old Canton man was arrested on a charge of driving with a suspended license and was cited for a red light violation.

April 15, 4:15 a.m.: An officer driving by 7-Eleven in Coolidge Square spotted a vehicle in the parking lot with the driver asleep behind the wheel. The officer found the man asleep or passed out with the motor running, and the headlights and taillights on. After waking the driver and speaking to him, the officer detected signs of intoxication. The man admitted to drinking alcohol before driving and he failed field sobriety tests. The 51-year-old Malden man was arrested on a charge of driving under the influence of alcohol, a second offense.


April 10, 5:45 p.m.: An Edenfield Avenue resident reported someone took a package from the front porch. It was delivered by UPS and the resident believes it was taken sometime between 3:30 and 4:30 p.m. because she thought she heard someone on the porch during that time. The package contained a children’s basketball hoop worth $40.

April 11, 10 a.m.: Two motorists got into a disagreement on Water Street. One vehicle had stopped and the second driver got angry and honked the horn. The driver of car that stopped, a 34-year-old man from Mashpee, got out of his vehicle. He exchanged words with the other driver, a 72-year-old woman from Newton. Then she threw a cup of coffee at him. Police arrived and both people calmed down, and said they did not want to pursue charges. The officer advised them that their behavior was not appropriate.

April 11, 2 p.m.: A man mailed two checks, including one for his property tax bill, in January, but on March 28 he received notice saying he was delinquent on both accounts. He looked at his statement and noticed that both checks, totaling $2,095, had been cashed. The man contacted his bank, which looked into the incident and found the checks were cashed in Rhode Island. Bank officials contacted authorities in Rhode Island. So far, it has not been determined how the checks wound up in someone else’s possession. Rhode Island law enforcement are investigating.

April 13, 5:17 p.m.: An officer was flagged down by a man on the Watertown Square Delta. He reported his bike had been stolen from a rack near the Delta. He locked it up there at 8:30 a.m. and when he returned at 5 p.m. he could not find it. The bike was a gray Raleigh mountain bike worth $600.

April 14, 3:22 p.m.: A bicycle went missing from a home on Barnard Avenue. It had been stored in an unlocked garage, and the owner believes the theft occurred between 5 p.m. on April 11 and 10 a.m. on April 14. Nothing else in the garage was disturbed. The bike is a green and black Trek bicycle worth $300.

April 14, 3:45 p.m.: An employee of the Sprint Store in the Arsenal Mall spotted a man in the store, looking at a smartphone. She was distracted momentarily and when she looked back the man was gone and so was one of the phones from the display table. The employee reported the Samsung S9 phone, worth $800, had been taken. The suspect is described as an African-American man, approximately 40 years old, wearing a brown jacket, brown pants, a gray T-shirt with an American flag on it, and a black baseball hat. Police are investigating.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *