Fire in Commercial Building Caused by Lint Fire in Dryer

Print More

A fire that caused smoke damage to a building on School Street in Watertown started in a dryer at the business, fire officials said.

On Jan. 18, 2019, a passerby spotted black smoke coming from the business at 111 School Street and alerted Watertown Fire and Police departments at about 8:14 p.m.

The Watertown Fire Department responded, and discovered a fire in DMB Linens. Firefighters extinguished the fire and limited the fire damage to a pair of commercial dryers. Smoke damage, however, extended through the entire building, according to a report from the Watertown Fire Department.

The Fire Department determined the fire was accidental and started in a dryer that was neither operating nor plugged in. However, lint had built up in the machine and it ignited, according to the report

There were no injuries in the fire.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *