Massachusetts Gov. Charlie Baker announced some sweeping steps to try to control the outbreak of Coronavirus in Massachusetts Sunday evening, including limiting the size of gatherings, allowing restaurants only to serve take out meals and closing all the schools in the state.
During the press conference he said there are no plans currently to have residents shelter in place to stop the spread of COVID-19. He did stress that people should only gather in small groups, according to a report on WCVB Channel 5.
“These gatherings include all community, civic, public, leisure, faith-based events, sporting events with spectators, concerts, conventions and any similar event or activity that brings together 25 or more people in single room or a single space at the same time. This includes venues like fitness centers, private clubs and theaters,” Baker said.
All restaurants and bars will be prohibited from serving food on site, but will be able to sell take out meals. The restaurant ban will last until April 17, WCVB reported.
Watertown’s schools had been closed as of Thursday, along with multiple other districts, but those schools that remained open will be closed after the Governor’s order. The school closing runs through April 7, at the earliest, which means they will be closed longer than Watertown officials’ original plan to close the schools for two weeks (until at least March 27).
As of Sunday evening, Massachusetts had 164 cases that tested positive for Coronavirus, with 45 confirmed by CDC. On Thursday, the Watertown Health Department announced the first positive test in town.
Read the WCVB report by clicking here.