Charlie BreitroseThe Edmund Fowle House served as the headquarters of Massachusetts’ executive branch during the Revolutionary War, and is now home to the Historical Society of Watertown. The Historical Society of Watertown has started a fundraiser to help pay for much-needed maintenance and improvements to one of the oldest and most historic homes in Watertown. The Historical Society provided the following information:
Built in 1772, the Edmund Fowle House is the second oldest surviving house in Watertown and celebrates its 250th birthday this year.
At the beginning of the American Revolution it served as headquarters for the executive branch of the Massachusetts government from July 1775 to September 1776. As part of this governance many historic people of note have stepped foot in the house, such as John Adams, Samuel Adams and John Hancock. On July 18th, 1776, Council Secretary, Perez Morton, proclaimed the newly approved Declaration of Independence to the whole town by reading it from a window of the second-floor Council Chamber at the Edmund Fowle House.