The Spring Hotel, built in 1824, was located on Main Street in Watertown Square across from the train depot. The First Parish Church (demolished in 1975) can be seen in the background. (Photo courtesy of the Watertown Free Public Library)
The following story is part of a series on local history provided by the Historical Society of Watertown. It is from our October 1999 newsletter “The Town Crier.” It was written in 1894 by then-Historical Society of Watertown Vice President, William Ingraham. Mr. Ingraham was a founding member of the Historical Society, and served the town at various time as Town Clerk, Town Selectman, on the Board of Assessors, on the Improvement Association (for streets).