Watertown Fire fighters put out a two-alarm fire that badly damaged one of three units of a house on Howard Street, and displaced five people.
The fire was reported at 5:56 p.m. When Watertown firefighters and police arrived at 15 Howard St., it appeared the fire was just on the exterior of the building, but the flames had spread, said Watertown Fire Capt. Ryan Nicholson.
“A gentleman was using a propane torch to weed his driveway and it caught some of the siding (on fire),” Nicholson said. “It extended into the interior.”
The second alarm was called because the fire was in an area with other homes close by.
The first police and firefighters on the scene were able to evacuate an older woman in a wheelchair before she suffered any injuries.
“Two rooms were damaged in the fire, and there was significant smoke damage to the residence,” Nicholson said. “A number of people were dislocated. There were three units in the building.”