Neighbors Running Fund Raiser to Help Family Pay for Vet Bills for Cat Injured in a House Fire

Two cats were in a fire at a Watertown home, and one — Basil — has required medical care. An online fundraising effort has started to help a Watertown family who are trying to pay for their cat’s veterinary bills after their home was damaged in a fire. Shortly after the March 21 fire that damaged the home on Quincy Street a group of neighbors rallied to support their neighbors. Jason Gerdom and Diana Richards put together the GoFundMe campaign to help their neighbors. They provided the following background on the campaign site:

“Hi, we’re a group of neighbors on the west side of Watertown who are raising money for a family who lost their house in a fire last week (March 21).

Police Log: Pair Caught Shoplifting, Fire at Newlywed Foods

The following information was provided by the Watertown Police Department. Arrest

July 8, 3:18 p.m.: Security at Perkins School for the Blind spotted an unknown person walking around on the school property. They attempted to speak to the man but he left the property. Police located the man on North Beacon Street, and he said he was walking on the property because it was shady and quiet. Officers learned that he was wanted on a warrant.

Fire on Gore Place Property Doused by Watertown Firefighters

ContributedFlames from a blaze on the Gore Estate can be seen from the back of a home on Edward Road. Watertown firefighters doused a blaze on the property of Gore Place which the Fire Department believes was started by illegal fireworks. On Saturday, July 23 at about 10:30 p.m. the Watertown Fire Department received a report of a fire on the Gore Estate property. The fire occurred near homes on Edward Road, according to Acting Fire Chief Ryan Nicholson. “We believe it was caused by fireworks, due to some remnants, but it is difficult to determine because illegal fireworks are set off frequently in that area,” Nicholson said.

Watertown Firefighters Douse Porch Fire That Extended into Home

A fire struck a home on Riverside Street on Sunday, damaging a porch and part of an apartment. The Watertown Fire Department got a fire alarm at 3:30 p.m. on March 27 from a six-unit building on Riverside Street. They received reports of smoke in the basement. “Members of Group 2 extinguished a small fire on the rear porch, which was extending to the building. No injuries were reported and no residents were displaced,” said the fire report from the Watertown Fire Department.

Fire Damages Apartment in Large Complex South of the Charles River

A fire started in an apartment in an apartment complex on Watertown Street on Wednesday, but was doused before it spread within the unit or to other apartments. The Watertown Fire Department received the fire alarm at 1:31 p.m. on Wednesday. The fire began in the kitchen area of a unit in the Watertown Square Apartments, located at 20 Watertown Street. No one was home when the fire began, but it was discovered by an alert employee, said Watertown Fire Capt. Eric Allen, the WFD’s Fire Investigator. “There was a maintenance worker that was on the roof of the building that saw smoke coming out of one of the vents,” Allen said.

Cause of Four-Alarm Fire in Watertown Determined by Fire Department

Fire blazed on the side of a home on Robert Ford Road Friday. The four alarm blaze damaged 12 units in the Watertown Housing Authority complex. The fire that damaged 12 units on Robert Ford Road on Friday appears to have started due to an electrical problem, according to the Watertown Fire Department. Watertown Deputy Fire Chief Tom McManus said the investigation into the four-alarm blaze lead to the basement of the building at 62 Robert Ford Road. “It appears to have started with a short circuit in the basement,” McManus said.