The Watertown Department of Public Works provided this update on the Common Street road project:
Over the summer, the Town has begun construction along Common Street from Mount Auburn Street to the Church Street/Orchard Street intersection, including portions of Columbia Street and Spring Street as part of the Common Street improvement project. The scope of the project includes the full reconstruction of each roadway with the objective of increasing safety and improving operations for all users within this corridor. General information is available at the Town’s web-site: http://www.watertowndpw.org/173/Common-Street
Construction will continue during the fall. As students are heading back to school, safety through the active construction zone is paramount. DPW, working with the School Department and Police Department Traffic Division, has developed a temporary pedestrian safety and control plan (See photo above).
• Sidewalks adjacent to the High School will be completed prior to the beginning of school, with sidewalk, curbing and other work continuing on the Phillips School side of Common Street, the north side of Columbia Road, and other portions of the full work area.
• Pedestrians wishing to access the High School or Common Street from the Spring Street area should use the crosswalk on the north side of Spring Street. A pedestrian push-activated crosswalk awareness sign is being installed to cross Common Street at the Spring Street intersection as a temporary measure until the traffic signal is installed. During school pick-up and drop-off periods, police details will assist with traffic control at the intersection of Common and Spring Street.
• Pedestrians accessing the High School from the Mount Auburn Street area should use the sidewalk on the east side of Common Street, next to the Cemetery and High School.
• Pedestrians accessing the High School from the Orchard Street area should use the existing pedestrian activated crosswalk at the Hardy Market to use the sidewalks on the east side of Common Street.
School Pick-up and Drop-Off
• We ask that parents refrain from drop-off/pick-up along Common Street.
• Parking on the Phillips School side of Spring Street, between Marshall Street and Marion Road will be prohibited, but may be used passenger loading/unloading during pick-up and drop-off times.
Street Closures and Detours
• Two direction traffic will be maintained on Common Street during the morning rush hour. The project team aims to keep through traffic on Common Street outside of rush hour as well, however lane closures and delays should be expected. Seek alternate routes. Additional road closures and detours will be made if determined by DPW and the Police Department Traffic Division to be in the best interest of public safety as work continues.
We appreciate the patience that motorists, pedestrians, and abutters have had during this complex construction project. As school begins, it is important that all roadway users exercise extra care and caution in the work area to maintain safety for everyone.
Thank you for your attention to this matter. If anyone has questions regarding the project, or the temporary traffic control plan described above please contact the Public Works Department at 617-972-6420.