Watertown Woman Biking 62 Miles in the RIDE to End Alzheimer

Print More

Ellen O’Connell, of Watertown, will bike 62 miles in the Alzheimer’s Association, Massachusetts/New Hampshire Chapter’s RIDE to End Alzheimer’s on Saturday, June 24, the Alzheimer’s Association, MA/NH Chapter announced. Starting and finishing at Odiorne State Park in Rye, NH, the RIDE provides a 2-, 30-, 62- and 100-mile route through the towns of coastal New Hampshire and the north shore of Massachusetts.

O’Connell joins the RIDE to honor her father who was diagnosed with Alzheimer’s over 10 years ago. The youngest of 6 children, Ellen is the captain of the team Pedaling for Parents, “I founded it with one of my dear friends whose mother also suffers from Alzheimer’s. My friend Leigh has been my support system throughout this whole ordeal. I started the RIDE 6 years ago by myself and our team has grown to almost fifteen friends and family who now ride with me.”

“I was at a loss of how I could help make a difference for my father and I knew that by creating more awareness for the disease and raising money I could help contribute to the cause and necessary research to find a cure. That is why I ride, to help others that may go through this.”

Started by the Noonan family, the RIDE to End Alzheimer’s formerly called Memory Ride, grew from a small, family-inspired event to a cycling challenge attracting riders throughout New England and beyond. Each year, 90 percent of the funds raised are given to research restricted grants for Alzheimer’s disease and other dementias. The remaining 10 percent of the proceeds fund programs and services in Massachusetts and New Hampshire. Since the event began 21 years ago, the RIDE to End Alzheimer’s has raised over $4,000,000.

“We know that five million Americans are living with Alzheimer’s, by 2050 this number could rise as high as sixteen million,” said Autumn Hotaling, Development Officer for the Alzheimer’s Association, MA/NH Chapter. “We must find meaningful treatment and a cure for Alzheimer’s disease. With the awareness and funds raised by our RIDE to End Alzheimer’s cyclists, we will move closer to our vision of a world without Alzheimer’s.”

To register or volunteer at the RIDE to End Alzheimer’s event, visit alzmass.org/ride.

About the Alzheimer’s Association

The Alzheimer’s Association is the leading voluntary health organization in Alzheimer’s care, support and research. Our mission is to eliminate Alzheimer’s disease through the advancement of research; to provide and enhance care and support for all affected; and to reduce the risk of dementia through the promotion of brain health. Our vision is a world without Alzheimer’s®. Visit www.alz.org/MANH or call 800.272.3900.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *