The Massachusetts Department of Transportation (MassDOT) announced that Thursday, Aug. 3, between the hours of 1 p.m., and 2 p.m., crews will adjust the traffic configuration on I-90 in the area under the Commonwealth Avenue Bridge so that later on all vehicles, east and westbound, will be traveling on what drivers know as the normal eastbound side of the highway.
During this operation, it will be necessary to temporarily stop all traffic for a short, approximately 20 minute period on I-90 westbound in the area of the Commonwealth Avenue Bridge in the Allston area of Boston. During this period, I-90 eastbound will continue to have two lanes of travel open.
At this hour, and until this afternoon, there will continue to be two lanes of travel open on the east and westbound side of the highway in the Allston area. (Please see photograph below of the current configuration).
As previously mentioned, after the logistical change that will occur sometime between 1 p.m. and 2 p.m., I-90 will have two lanes of travel open in each direction until 8 p.m. tonight. After 8 p.m. and until 6 a.m., on Friday, I-90 in the Allston area will have one lane of travel open westbound and two lanes of travel open eastbound.
Additionally, Exit 20 on I-90 westbound in Allston will be closed once this logistical change is put in place, meaning travelers seeking to exit onto Cambridge Street, Storrow Drive, or Soldier’s Field Road at this location will be detoured to Exit 17 in Newton.
Law enforcement details will be utilized to conduct this afternoon’s traffic maneuver and drivers should seek alternate routes and avoid the area when these operations are being conducted. The expected schedule of lane restrictions on I-90 is as follows.
- 1 p.m. – 2 p.m.: I-90 west traffic halted about 20 minutes during this time period but I-90 east will maintain two lanes of travel.
- 2 p.m. until 8 p.m.: Two lanes of travel open in each direction.
- 8 p.m. – 6 a.m., August 4: One lane of travel open westbound, 2 lanes open eastbound.
- 2 p.m. – August 7: Exit 20 on I-90 westbound in Allston closed and traffic will be detoured to Exit 17 in Newton.
For more information, individuals are encouraged to:
- Visit the Commonwealth Avenue Bridge Replacement Project website.
- Download MassDOT’s free GoTime mobile app and view real-time traffic conditions by visiting:www.MassDOTgotime.com
- Sign up for email notices to receive public meeting notices, construction updates and traffic alerts.
- Dial 511 and select a route to hear real-time conditions on I-90 and other roads.
- Visit www.mass511.com, which provides real-time traffic and incident advisory information, and allows users to subscribe to text and email alerts for traffic conditions.
- Download Waze, the real-time traffic navigation app.
- Follow MassDOT on Twitter @MassDOT because motor vehicle incidents which impact traffic flow are generally mentioned in tweets if they occur on the state’s major highways. Follow the MBTA on Twitter for service alerts and other information: @MBTA and @MBTA_CR
- Sign up on MassDOT’s website to receive regular communications about MassDOT projects:https://public.govdelivery.com/accounts/MADOT/subscriber/new
- Watch this YouTube video showing how construction work will be conducted.